Sunday, November 20, 2011

My new favourite t-shirt sighting... and other adventures

In follow-up to my All things Tanzanian post, I have now spotted my new favourite t-shirt. Yesterday I saw a little girl playing soccer wearing a t-shirt that said, "Ho". Guaranteed no one realizes what that one means! Who is the chick who bought that t-shirt in the first place???

I haven't blogged about my outdoor pursuits trips this year yet... I went on a one night camping trip with our M1 (grade 6) students to get them used to camping, packing a bag, hiking with a pack, and such things as learning to tie hiking boots. (I guess not everyone in the world learns to tie skates by age 5 like we do in Canada!) I also went on a two night trip to the Ngorongoro Crater with students. It was light on exercise, but heavy on site-seeing. We hiked down into Empakaai Crater where we enjoyed spectacular views and saw the lesser flamingos enjoying the alkaline lake. It was amazing how bitter the soda tasted in the breeze. A great chance for a real-life chemistry lesson! We took the student to visit a Masaai village where they had so much fun playing with the children. The children took such delight in playing with one of our student's blond hair, and in seeing their photos on our digital cameras. It was impossible not to giggle along with them. We also had the chance to take a game drive down into the Ngorongoro Crater where the mating ostriches were definitely the highlight of the trip for the kids! The density of game of course was amazing.

My other trip, to Kibo Hut, the highest hut on Kili, was scheduled a couple weeks ago, but was unfortunately cancelled as there were not enough students signed up. Looking forward to next semester and a challenging hike again.

No comments:

Post a Comment